Keys to Serving Christ as a Christian
1. First and foremost, you must be saved, born-again, redeemed, in other words, accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. John 3:16
2. Read your Bible! The whole thing, not just the parts you like or make you feel good, but the whole thing. Not just once, read it over and over again. You cannot know what the Bible says unless you actually read it. Ephesians 3:3-5
3. Test every spirit! 1 John 4:1 says, “Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.” If what a person is saying is not found in the Bible, then they are lying. If someone says, I have a new revelation from God, don’t believe them. The Cannon of the Bible is fixed and nothing can be added, so anything that is contrary to Biblical scripture must be rejected. That’s why you need to read the Bible – so you know what it says and can discern whether what is being said is from God or not from God. Revelation 22:19
4. Study the Bible, Biblical history and the geography, history and customs of the Middle East, as well as, at least a little Biblical Greek and Hebrew. This will help you understand the Bible more clearly and accurately. 2 Timothy 2:15
5. Reject sin in all its forms. We cannot be perfect and striving for perfection is futile. Yet, we must at least strive to be righteous and sin as little as possible. Especially rejecting unrepented sins, in other words, sins that we continue doing without desiring or feeling the need to turn away from. Click on examples in 1 Corinthians. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, 2 Peter 3:9
This is just a short list of the most important things we all should do as Christians. Without these core essentials, we are left wide open to false teachers, false preachers, false doctrine and Satan and his demons. Again, this is a short list showing what each Christian should pursue in their personal walk with God. It does not address our obligation to others.
Have a blessed day!